State Policy on Reproductive Rights and Health
Since 1989, the Center has promoted public policy options that preserve reproductive rights and health for low income women and for women of color.
The Center’s Law and Pregnancy Program began as the implementation phase of the groundbreaking “Reproductive Laws for the 1990s” project sponsored by the Women’s Rights Litigation Clinic at Rutgers University.
Click here to read the 2012 Papers on Reproductive Laws for the 21st Century, inspired by
the Reproductive Laws for the 1990s authors.
The Center produced reports on:
- Legal and ethical issues surrounding new reproductive technologies
- Coerced medical treatment during pregnancy
- Pregnancy exclusions in state living will statutes. Related publications:
- Prosecution of pregnant women who use drugs and alcohol. Related publications:
- Attempts to define the fetus as a patient
- Mandatory HIV testing of sex workers and of pregnant women as threats to all women’s reproductive autonomy. Related publications:
- The impact of restrictive HIV and substance abuse policies on women’s reproductive rights. Related publications:
Today, the Center is working in partnership with state legislators who are seeking to preserve reproductive rights and promote reproductive health programs through legislative and policy initiatives. These legislators remain on the “front lines” in the battle to preserve the protections guaranteed by Roe v. Wade.
Our State Policy on Reproductive Rights and Health Program conducts a series of policy analysis, advocacy, and convening activities to meet the self-defined needs of state legislators who are taking the lead in promoting women’s reproductive rights and health.
These include our:
- Annual legislative exchange sessions for state legislators at the National Conference of State Legislatures (NCSL) annual meetings every summer - Related News
- State legislative exchange sessions that address key reproductive rights and health issues facing the state and encourage legislators to create Reproductive Freedom Legislative Caucuses - Related News
- Annual Strategic Action Convening (SAC) on Reproductive Rights and Health to bring legislators to Washington to devise new legislative leadership strategies to maintain reproductive rights at the state level.